The Self-Service Upload Tool will allow you to upload comma-separated or tab-separated text files into your database. This tool is great if you received or collected information in a spreadsheet form and want to quickly upload it into your database.
Organization users: Please note that if you want the new records to belong to a particular Organization, you need to run Self Service Upload when you are logged in as that specific Org Administrator.
Click on the following images to zoom-in.
1. Getting Started
1. Under Contacts, select Upload.
2. Click the plus icon.
2. Create a New Database
1. Enter a name for the new data set (this is only a temporary file, so the name isn't that important)
2. Enter tomorrow's date for the Expiration Date
3. Enter a Source Code (this name should be meaningful, such as "legacy data upload" or "Oct 14 events")
4. Select an Organization*
5. Browse for the data file. All files must be in a .txt, .csv or .tab format.
6. Upload file
If your data set is in another format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance
*You will only need to select an organization if you are part of a coalition. This will make certain that your data will only be visible to you and not any of your partner organizations.
3. Map your Data Fields
1. If the first row of your data file has field headers, click Contains Field Names
2. Use the menu to match your data fields with the fields available in your Databank.
3. Click Save
If your data fields do not match the fields available in your Databank, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
4. Verify data in the Auxiliary Databank (optional)
1. Switch to the Auxiliary Database using the login switcher.
2. Verify Data
3. Switch back to the Databank used to start the upload.
5. Move Data in to Permanent Database
If you did not verify the data in step 4:
1. Click Databases
If you verified data in Step 4:
1. Go to Contacts > Upload > Import
2. Click Merge Existing Records
Please Note: When it says records "matched", instead of inserting a new record it merges the new information over the existing record (avoiding creating duplicates)!
This is fantastic! Thank you for making this functionality available to us.
Thanks for this!
Please sign in to leave a comment.